Saturday, May 9, 2009

Bad things do happen to good people!

A little background story. My husband, Bryan has terrible family genes when it comes to illness and disease, this is especially true with high cholesterol and diabetes. Bryan has tried to be as health consious as possible. He runs 4-5 miles 5 days a week and lifts weights 3 times a week. His weight is within the normal range too. Well despite his very best efforts, he was given devastating news today! He is diabetic. I was so stunned, the signs have been there for a few weeks but I chalked it up to many other things (denial at its best). I feel so helpless, this wonderful man is struggling. We are grateful that he doesn't need insulin but none the less a devastating diagnosis at the young age of 42. Bryans father died in September of 2007 at the age of 66. It was VERY sudden. Although his dad was a diabetic and had some heart issues he was deemed healthy enough to go on a cruise in Sept. of 2007. Having retired just 5 short months earlier this was Bryan's parent first retirement vacation. Sadly, Bryan's dad dropped dead of a massive heart attack, literally as he was stepping off the cruise ship at the end of his trip! Bryan's uncle also died recently at the age of 63 and his grandfather died in his 60's too. Of course this is all weighing on him. He is just sad, a trait I have never seen out of him for more then 5 minutes. I pray to god to give me the strength to pick Bryan up and make him realize that this is not a death sentence. We have always leaned on one another. I LOVE my husband and I can't bare to see him so upset!! In time I know there will be acceptance and together we will forge ahead and make the best of such an awful situation. Thanks for listening!

4 comments:

  1. So glad to see you on here Diane!
    So sad to hear about Bryan, that is awful! We will be praying for him. What were the signs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lesley! Wow you are fast! He was just excessively thirsty, tired alot(so not like him), and waking at night to go to the bathroom, he was also cranky but it was very random and again not like him to be that way!! Thanks for the prayers we appreciate them!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Diane - welcome to the blogging world! :-)

    Sorry to hear Bryan's news. It just doesn't seem fair sometimes when someone who takes care of himself gets something like this. My thoughts are with you guys as you begin to deal with this challenge he's been given. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Carissa! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete